• The first deck in several hundred years to present the expanded 97-card Tarot system of the Renaissance.
• Based on the original Italian Renaissance Tarot deck, with contemporary interpretations by the best-selling author of The Light and Shadow Tarot.
• Includes cards for the 12 astrological signs and the 4 elements, as well as additional Virtue cards for the major arcana.
• Includes stunning variations of many traditional Tarot images.
• 272-page book with 400 black-and-white illustrations.
• 97 full-color cards.
The Minchiate is one of the most unique decks ever to emerge from the centuries-old Tarot tradition. In the first modern presentation of this divinatory system, artist and writer Brian Williams explains the allegorical, esoteric, and symbolic meanings of this expanded deck that not only includes cards for each of the astrological signs, but also for the four elements and several additional figures in the major arcana. Although those familiar with the traditional Tarot will recognize many of the cards of the Minchiate, even Tarot aficionados will be surprised and delighted by many striking differences, such as the knights who are now transformed into mythical beasts or the Chariot card in which the armored warrior has been replaced by a peaceful maiden.
Brian Williams's insightful interpretations of the cards, based on his extensive knowledge of the Tarot and Italian history, enable readers to use this deck as a tool for profound self-exploration and transformation. One of the most popular Italian Tarots, the Minchiate served as the basis for many other famous decks before fading into obscurity during the nineteenth century. Now this important Tarot, reformulated with the author's extensive commentary and subtle interpretations of the original art, is finally again available for modern readers and devotees of the Tarot.
The Four Elements
Reading the Cards
New Age Retailer, May/June 2000
Michele Jackson, www.ArtofTarot.com