From Chapter 2
Wisdom Chi Kung Theory
Western science has discovered that when people are heavy thinkers, when they worry a lot, are full of anger, jealousy, hatred, or other negative emotions, their brain activity can consume 80 percent of all their total body energy. The brain is a heavy user of energy and when it begins to use its energy, it doesn’t stop if it is not told to. The rest of the body has only 20 percent of its energy to use for all the other intricate functions needed for daily activity. You can imagine why at the end of the day most people go home and “veg out” in front of the television. There is no energy in the body left to do anything.
One of the things that many religions have tried to do through meditation is to discover how to stop people from thinking. How do you stop the monkey mind from spinning constantly? In this chapter, we will introduce you to the monkey mind concept, how to recognize it when it begins, and how to respond correctly to its perpetual activity.
The whole secret of the Wisdom Chi Kung practice is just to smile down, relax, picture the eyes like a “sun shining on the water”; suddenly you will start to feel something like steam starting to rise from your sacrum. You will feel this energy move up and begin to charge the brain. Now, if you expand the mind out and connect with the universe, you can bring the universal energy back and store it in the organs. When that energy is transformed and charged back up to the brain, it will bring the brain functioning to a new level. This energy has been transformed and digested so that the brain can use it effectively.
Taoist Meditation and Breathing to Begin Wisdom Chi Kung
To begin the practice, we always learn to expand our breath before the practice begins. Any time you are sitting down for meditations this preparation is very important. We will do the spinal cord breathing in the sitting position.
1. Sitting on the sitz bones, sit on the edge of the chair, spine erect, feet
touching the ground. This way the lumbar will be open, the energy
can circulate, and you can rock on the base of the spine. If you sit
and cannot rock, this means you are sitting on the tailbone, which
impedes the circulation of energy.
2. Inhale and exhale first 9 times, then 18 times, finally 36 times. Breathe
in through the nose and out through the mouth and imagine the breath
pumping through the spine, elongating and expanding the vertebrae.
Rock the kidney, smile down to the spine. This breathing is very peaceful;
just sit, breathe, rock, and smile to the spine and the organs.
3. When you have finished the 36th repetition, rock the spine, one vertebrae
at a time, starting with the lumbar and working all the way up
through the 24 stories to the cervical spine.
4. Rocking the sacrum and the lumbar back and forth on the sitz bones
will activate the sacral pump. This movement is called “riding the
horse.” It is very useful because it creates good movement of the
bones along the whole length of the spine--these are very small
movements, very internalized. When you rock like this throughout
the meditation, you create a vibration rising up the spine from the
base of the coccyx and the lower lumbar area, activating the sacral
5. Rock with spinal cord breathing (see chapter 4 for more details),
allowing the energy to flow up the entire length of the spine, activating
all three spinal pumps--the sacrum, the door of life, and the
cranial pump--and feeding energy to the brain.
6. To help activate the cranial pump use the “Crane Neck,” pressing the
tongue to the roof of the mouth. The nature of your saliva can give
you a sign that the energy is moving. When the saliva comes out in a
big rush, very sweet and fragrant, you’ll know that the cranial pump
is open. When energy charges up to the brain and the brain starts to
activate, it starts to secrete a very sweet fragrant substance (nectar) that
is very nourishing and healing for the rest of the body.
7. As the saliva moves, feel warmth coming back to the navel and the
door of life. Move your hand, touch the navel, remember keep the
Tan Tien warm and keep the door of life warm. At the Tan
Tien, feel a connection with the brain secreting the sweet nectar. Feel
the pumps activated and the organs smiling. Your eyes are like the sun
shining on water.
8. Move your hand near your heart, activate the heart fire, and make
your heart soft. Feel the love and remember to keep the Tan Tien
warm. The heart will charge energy right into the center of the brain.
This love and joy from the heart fills the brain and transforms negative
energy. When the sun is shining on water, the water changes to
We can integrate this loving energy into the beginning of the
Wisdom Chi Kung practice, expanding and furthering the practice
in the next chapter.